Kareem has received numerous awards, fellowships, honors, and residencies for his work as a translator and a scholar, including PEN Center USA's 2017 Translation Prize, a 2018 National Endowment for the Arts translation grant, the 2015 Northern California Book Award for Best Translated Poetry, Poetry Magazine's 2014 translation prize, a Fulbright Research Fellowship in Germany, a CASA Fellowship in Cairo, and residencies from the Lannan Foundation and the Banff Centre for the Arts.
Translation Awards, Honors, and Service
- 2021: Member of the PEN/Heim Translation Fund Advisory Board.
- 2020: Nominated for a Pushcart Prize for translations of poetry by Najwan Darwish in the journal New Poetry in Translation.
- 2020: Open-Genre Arabic Translation Mentor for the American Literary Translators Association. Mentee: Madeline Edwards, working with contemporary Arabic prose.
- 2018/19: Open-Language Poetry Translation Mentor for the American Literary Translators Association. Mentee: Dr. Jennifer Kellogg, working with Modern Greek.
- 2018: Joint Recipient, PEN Translates Award, UK (Book of Cairo)
- 2015: Joint Recipient, PEN Translates Award, UK (Book of Khartoum)
- 2014 Northern California Book Award (Best Translated Prose): Finalist
- 2014: Lannan Foundation Residency in Marfa, Texas
- 2012: Banff International Literary Translation Center residency in Alberta, Canada
Research Awards and Fellowships
- 2013: Center for Middle Eastern Studies Sultan Grant, UC Berkeley (research in Arabic and Islamic Studies)
- 2006 – 2011: Berkeley Fellowship (the top graduate humanities fellowship at UC Berkeley)
- 2006 – 2009: Townsend Center Discovery Fellowship (interdisciplinary research at UC Berkeley)
- 2005/6: CASA Fellowship at the American University in Cairo, Egypt (Arabic studies)
- 2003/4: Fulbright Fellowship for research in Mannheim, Germany
- 2003/4: Fulbright Enterprise Fellowship for research in Mannheim, Germany
- 2003/4: DAAD Fellowship for research in Germany (declined in favor of the Fulbright)
- 2003: Inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society